Smart Lipo Abdomen & Flanks: Patient #1811657
Patient has elected to pursue laser lipolysis/smart lipo to the abdomen, flanks, low back with extraction using the nutational device. The patient is unhappy with their generalized waist and neck. They exercise regularly but have gained 30 pounds over the last 2 years. They have had no prior procedure to these areas. The patient understands that there will be no changes in muscular diastases or striae. The upper abdomen shows mild adiposity laxity. The lower abdomen shows moderate adiposity with mild laxity. There is moderate adiposity with mild laxity of the flanks and low back.
Surgical Case Study:
- Patient was taken to the preoperative holding area. Under the patient’s supervision, the areas to be treated were marked.
- The patient was taken to the operating room where adequate anesthesia was achieved. The patient was placed in the supine position
The ports were infiltrated with our standard straight solution.
- The areas to be treated were infiltrated with our standard quarter strength tumescent solution. The area was prepped and draped in a sterile fashion. The ports were made with an 18-gauge needle.
- The laser cannula was introduced into the soft tissue and activated on a setting of 40 W with an 1000 µm fiber after assuring the
patient and all OR personnel had adequate eye protection. Great care was taken to treat all layers of fat deeper than 1 cm to a uniform temperature of 55°C. A 1 cm subdermal soft tissue was treated on a setting of 40 W with a 55 °C cutoff.
- Gentle aspiration was performed with the nutational smart lipo device. A 5 mm bucket cannula was used in the deep subcutaneous tissue. A 3 mm aspiration
cannula with 1 mm ports was used for the more superficial layers.
- The ports were closed using subcuticular 4-0 chromic. The Smartsense and Thermaguide were utilized throughout the procedure.
- The patient was taken to the recovery room in stable condition.
While you are on the table approximately 75-85% of the fat cells that are going to die will actually liquefy immediately. We will remove this with a small cannula, so patients will see results equivalent to regular liposuction immediately.
Some swelling and fluid retention is normal. Over the next 6-8 weeks the remaining treated fat will liquefy and be removed by your lymphatics. Getting frequent lymphatic drainage massages can speed up this process.
In some areas the tightening of the skin is immediate. The long-term tightening begins approximately four to six weeks after the procedure, but older patients may not see skin tightening other than that seen for traditional liposuction for 3-6 months. The skin will continue to tighten for at least a year.
In addition to smart lipo of the abdomen & flanks, we have treated all areas of the body successfully that have been treated with traditional liposuction in the past. This includes the abdomen, flanks, thighs, knees, neck, and chest. Because of the precision of the device, areas not normally treated with liposuction have also been successfully treated with SmartLipo™, including around the bra straps, upper arms, elbows, calves, jowls, and cheeks. We have also successfully performed many procedures on patients who have had prior liposuction but were dissatisfied with the results. It is not uncommon to find demarcation between treated and untreated areas with liposuction, tunneling of the liposuction cannulas, and loose skin left over from liposuction. These have all been effectively treated in our office with SmartLipo™.